The Japanese have been drinking the wonder that is Matcha tea for centuries, originally by Buddhist monks to enhance meditation, for us though it's the greatest rediscovery of the 21st century, it has always been used in the famous Japanese Tea Ceremony.
Pure Ceremonial grade Matcha is renowned for its seaweedy, vegetal and balance of sweet and bitter, giving it that umami taste. The aroma of a quality Matcha is soft, sweet and creamy with a hint of herbs.
Matcha is treated in a similar way to that of an Espresso, it is very versatile! You can enjoy it the more traditional way as a latte or it can be enjoyed as a pure Matcha shot, we encourage you to try it pure, a calming ritual with a prolonged caffeine kick!
However for those of you that are new to Matcha and want to work your way up to the punchy shot, Matcha makes a great addition to your slushies, smoothies, shakes, energy balls and even cakes! We love its versatility!!
How to prepare a Traditional Matcha Green Tea Shot
What you'll need
- Suki Tea Organic Matcha
- Matcha Bamboo Whisk
- Matcha Bowl
Prep Time; 2mins
- Preheat your bowl with hot water, resting the tip of your whisk in the bowl to soften it - tip out water and dry.
- 1-2g depending on your taste (approx 1/2 -1 teaspoon) in a traditional bowl
- Tip your matcha into the bowl
- Add approx 70ml of 70-80 degree water (too hot will result in a bitter cupn a splash of cold then the boiled water will work)
- Whisk using bamboo chasen in a zig zag or 'W' motion, using a relaxed wrist, whisk until you have a thick froth with many tiny bubbles. Usually about 20-30 secs.
- Drink in 3 gulps the Japanese way. Matcha was traditionally prepared not to be sipped as it will ultimately rest at the bottom.
- Play with proportions of tea to water to find your perfect cup :)
Top tip - we always encourage using freshly drawn boiled water (preferably filtered to remove limescale, flouride and other nasties which would interfere with getting the best taste experience). Japanese green tea drinking can be enhanced using re-boiled water with less oxygen in it!
How to prepare a Matcha Latte
What you'll need
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon Suki Tea Matcha green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a bowl, whisk hot water (not boiling, about 70°C) and Matcha together. Mix well, making sure there are no lumps left in the mix, then add a teaspoon of honey and whisk some more.
- Froth 1/2 a cup of coconut milk and heat until just steaming.
- Half fill a cup with your hot Matcha mix and add the frothy coconut milk on top.
- Finish with a sprinkle of nutmeg for a winter cosy warmth.