First of all, what is Fairtrade? Fairtrade is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world. By requiring companies to pay sustainable price. For more information or to find out how you can make a difference, check out the Fairtrade Foundation website.
There are exciting ways to use Fairtrade ingredients in your life, from drinking a cup of Fairtrade tea, to enjoying a Fairtrade chocolate or two, you can also enjoy Fairtrade wine at the weekends! For now we'll stick to these Fairtrade cookies, why not give them a go, they're really easy to make, they don't even need baked! The perfect snack to accompany a big mug of Fairtrade tea.
- 50g Unsalted Organic butter - (You can use coconut oil instead for dairy free or vegan alternatives)
- 100g Coconut sugar or 80g light brown sugar
- 120ml Almond milk
- 2 tbs Suki Fairtrade First Flush Darjeeling tea (Scoop 1tbs into 2 tea sacs)
- 170g of Almond butter
- 280g of Organic quick cooking oats
- 1 Tsp of Fairtrade vanilla extract
- 50g Fairtrade dark chocolate
- In a saucepan heat the almond milk until a few bubbles appear on the surface, then take off the heat and add one of the filled tea sacs for 1-2 minutes. Squeeze the tea bag with the back of a spoon, repeat this process with the other tea bag.
- Remove the teabag and place the liquid back on a low heat, add the sugar and butter and melt.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the almond butter, oats and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Drop about 1 dessert spoon of the mixture per cookie on to wax/foil paper and place in the freezer to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate. Using a teaspoon drizzle the chocolate over the cooled cookies and then place back in the fridge to cool. Store until ready to serve.
Keep an eye out for more Fairtrade recipes over the next few days as we're hosting a tea party on Thursday and we've asked the Suki TEAm to take part in a big Fairtrade Bake off - we'll upload our images and let you guys decide on the winners!