Throughout our 2 week Matcha Challenge we'll be enjoying a shot of Matcha each day. Matcha is very versatile, which is one of the many reason we love it, so we'll be trying out other exciting ways to enjoy Matcha. However, the base of most of our recipes throughout the challenge will be the same- a shot of Matcha. See our top tips and easy steps for preparing the perfect Matcha shot below.
Preparing a Traditional Matcha Green Tea Shot
Matcha is treated in a similar way to that of an Espresso. We encourage you to try it pure, a calming ritual with a prolonged caffeine kick!
What you'll need:
Suki Tea Organic Matcha
Matcha Whisk and Matcha Bowl
Prep Time: 2 mins
Method- Whisk & Bowl
- Preheat your bowl with hot water, resting the tip of your whisk in the bowl to soften it. Tip out water once warmed and dry bowl.
- Add 1-2g of Matcha depending on your taste (approx 1/2 -1 teaspoon) to your bowl
- Add approx. 70ml of 70-80 degree water (too hot will result in a bitter cup, a splash of cold then the boiled water will work if you don't have a temperature gauge)
- Whisk in a zig zag or 'W' motion, using a relaxed wrist, whisk until you have a thick froth with many tiny bubbles. Usually about 20-30 secs.
- Drink in 3 gulps the Japanese way. Matcha was traditionally prepared not to be sipped as it will ultimately rest at the bottom.
- Add 1-2g of matcha to shaker depending on your taste (approx 1/2 -1 teaspoon)
- Add approx 70ml of 70-80 degree water to your shaker (too hot will result in a bitter cup a splash of cold then the boiled water will work)
- Secure lid to shaker and shake well for approx. 30-60 seconds until thick and frothy with many tiny bubbles.
- Enjoy straight from your shaker!
Top tip - We always encourage using freshly drawn boiled water (preferably filtered to remove limescale, flouride and other nasties which would interfere with getting the best taste experience). Japanese green tea drinking can be enhanced using re-boiled water with less oxygen in it!
Check out our SUKI Matcha Challenge blog post as we update it each day with new ways to enjoy your Matcha shot and how we feel after each day! If you join in make sure to tag us on social media @sukitea #sukitea and let us know how you are getting on.